2.24.2006

Dad's camera

taken with Kodak Retinette 1A


taken with Kodak Retinette 1A


My dad had lots of different cameras in my growing up. He always had one around for family vacations, etc. He liked taking pictures and especially slides. Many an evening was spent in our home with neighbors or friends around the coffee table and with the projector screen set up in the living room (with me laying on the floor as close to the screen as I could get) to view vacation and family photos. People did that “back in the day.” It was part of our culture.

After 30 or more years of laying idle… and broken… in the closet and various drawers around my mom’s house, I finally hauled out and repaired my dad’s last camera, a Kodak Retinette 1A. Here’s a couple of shots from the first test roll and though it’s noticeable I’m not so great at guessing the distance for focusing, (no rangefinder on this little unit) it’s pretty obvious that the little Kodak is still capable of grabbing some good shots. But best of all, it’s a basic simple camera, a reminder of simpler days… and it’s Dad’s camera.

No comments: