11.13.2005

this old house

taken with Zorki 3M ~ Orion 15

Old houses. Man, don’t you love ‘em? I pass by one and wonder what it looked like new… and what it would take to make it new again.

My wife and I were driving home from some errand the other day and passed in front of where they’re building a huge distribution warehouse on the site where a farm used to be. I had been by there a couple days before and noticed the old farm house still standing in a grove of trees at the corner of the property, three stories tall and made of cut stone bordered by a stone wall around the yard. “You’ve got to see this old house,” I told my wife.

As we turned the corner, we saw the smoke from a diesel engine and there sat a big yellow Caterpillar in the front yard. The only thing still standing of the once fine home was one corner room; the rest was just so much rubble.

I’m sure it won’t be long until progress reduces this old house to rubble as well.

****************
“"Again, GOD's Message: "'I'll turn things around for Jacob. I'll compassionately come in and rebuild homes. The town will be rebuilt on its old foundations; the mansions will be splendid again.
(Jeremiah 30:18 MSG)

No comments: